Friday, October 30, 2009

Our Boy - Braden Christopher is here!




Brian and I got the surprise of our lives this Tuesday evening, October 27th with Braden Christopher Moore joining our family exactly 6 weeks early. On Sunday afternoon after having lunch with our church staff and missionary friends, we were walking out of the restaurant and my water broke. We were in SHOCK to say the least. After a whirlwind of events and getting Mersadie taken care of, we went to the hospital where they confirmed, sure enough, that my water had indeed broken. There they informed me that I would be in the hospital until Braden was born, which would not be more than 9 days.



On Tuesday morning, when I still had not gone into active labor on my own, the high risk OB came in and highly suggested that we schedule a c-section to reduce the risk of infection for myself and Braden. I had already been given the 2 steroid shots for Braden's lungs to develop. With reluctancy we went ahead and scheduled the c-section for that evening at 7 p.m. (Reluctant because I REALLY wanted to try and deliver naturally this time around after having a c-section with Sadie). We knew this was the best choice though.



At about 4 or 4:30 Tuesday afternoon I started having contractions so fast, painful and close together that we called the doctor into my room. She checked me for progression and to my surprise, I was 2 cm dilated and 100% effaced. They decided to let me progress naturally and see where it led. Well...it led right to more and stronger contractions, A LOT of pain, an epidural (THANK YOU GOD) and after about 30 minutes of pushing - our handsome son Braden Christopher was born at 8:25 p.m. - 5 lb 14 oz. - 18 3/4 inches long. - BIG guy for 6 weeks premature!



Braden is still in the NICU because he is not breathing well on his own. Things have been so up and down. The worst being him going through a collapsed lung on Wednesday evening. The doctors got him stabilized and he is on a respirator. It will be a fairly long road to recovery, but things are looking up. He is breathing 70% on his own and they say he is getting better. The next thing he will need to do after breathing on his own 100% is to learn how to suck so he can eat. Then they will make sure that he is regulating his own body temperature. After all of those things are successful, our boy will be able to come home to meet his big sister.
Thank you for your prayers and concern as we go through what is the biggest trial of our lives so far.

10 comments:

  1. We are praying for a complete and speedy recovery!! He is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shan, I love you so much...I am praying for Braden and your family...please let me know if there is anything I can do. Wish I was there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying my heart out for you guys!!!! I wish I was there to help you guys out but I am sending my love from here! Thank you for posting and telling your story! I have been so worried!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you as you recover from the exciting birth and for energy as you travel too and from the hospital to see that sweet little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy that your adorable baby boy is getting stronger every day. I will continue to pray for him. I thought the same thing, can you imagine how big he would have been full term? God knew exactly what he needed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon,
    I don't have alot to say, but I just want you to know that I am praying for you and Braden. And I want you to know that I have called friends in Mexico and there are several people in Mexico who are praying for you guys.

    We will be in Victorville, CA, and Riverside, CA, the next two weeks, so maybe we can call you.

    God bless you,

    Adriana Conder
    Missionary in Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you guys, I know what you are going through and it is not easy. God is in control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was shocked to hear that Braden was born this week. I am glad to read that he and you are doing well, and will pray that you both continue to feel better every day. He sure is cute. I loved your maternity pictures, by the way. Congratulations to you, Brian, and Sadie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This story sounds alot like mine!! My son as born 6 weeks early and is now 6 1/2 months old and doing great!! He was 4 lbs - 9 oz and 18 1/4 inches (he's now 16 lbs - 28 1/2 inches). My water broke at 2:00 am while I was sleeping. I'd been in pre-term labor twice already, though. It's so scary!! Your little guy is beautiful!! Praying for you!!! It's so hard! ~Britt

    BTW, I linked to your blog from "Randy & Amy's First Baby". :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shannon -

    I had no idea that your baby boy was EARLY!!! I'm glad to see he's home now and doing better. We have you and your family in our prayers. We go in TOMORROW to have Jillian. Amazing how quick all of this goes.

    Hope you are doing well. Call you as soon as I get back home and settled in. :)

    ReplyDelete