Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thumb or Pacifier?

Pretty much from birth this boy has been trying to find and figure out how to suck his thumb. I was a thumb sucker too, for way longer than I actually want to admit. Sadie was a pacifier girl and gave it up with no problem at all around 8 months. From the day he came home from the hospital, I've been trying to offer Braden the pacifier over and over, but all he wants to do is gnaw on his hand. Well, the other day it happened. Braden found his thumb - but he gets super frustrated and sometimes even ends up gagging himself. So, when he was fighting with his thumb the other day during naptime, I went in to offer him the pacifier and found him like this...

...but I was able to exchange his thumb for the pacifier. I was so happy he actually took it.
So, what do you think? Should I keep trying so hard to make him take the pacifier or should I give in and let him have his thumb? He does look so cute in that first picture though doesn't he?


4 comments:

  1. He looks so content with his thumb.....but If you let him continue to do it. Well, mimi and I can tell you this. It will be very difficult for you to break him of it later. Oh the joys of parenthood and the decisions we have to make. Whether big or small, they are ALL important to us. Love and miss ya'll. Dad and Papa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is so cute when they are little. Not so cute when they are FIVE! ;) Ella didn't do either, she wouldn't take a pacifier. She was a pill too. The boys both took a pacifier but stop around 6 months, so it was real easy. I don't know. To me it's all about survival for the momma. What is easier for you. Although what is easier now may turn out to be a pain to break later. Sorry I am not much help. Good luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that a pacifier is harder to break then a thumb. Just my opinion though. You can't take their thumb away lol but you can the paci.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I just read my post and realized it made absolutely no sense lol. I meant to say that the thumb is harder to break than the paci. So I would suggest using a paci rather than the thumb...lol sorry for the confusion!

    ReplyDelete